The Women's Association welcomes the women (and men!) of all ages to join us in education, service, prayer and benevolence. Our weekly programs are active from September through May. Our Annual Holiday Bazaar, held in early November, supports the ministries of FAPC and other benevolences. We also host a Christmas Tea for the congregation each December. Membership is just $15 annually. For information, contact Rita Arlen, president ([email protected], 212.247.0490 ext 3041).
We welcome participants who enjoy knitting, crocheting and embroidery to help create hand-sewn items that we donate to families in need. The Needlework Group also creates merchandise for sale during the Holiday Bazaar each November.
Mondays, 11 am–3:30 pm, Boardroom (fifth floor).
Prayer Group volunteers gather to pray for the individuals on the church prayer list, for those who have submitted prayer requests and for those who needs are known by the pastors.
First Tuesdays, 5:30–6:30 pm, Romeyn Room (fifth floor).
Women's Association Luncheon
All are invited to our weekly, four-course luncheons catered by Roxo Events. Luncheons also feature guest speakers, entertainment and fellowship. The week's upcoming program is listed in the bulletin each Sunday.
Tuesdays,12 pm, Bonnell Hall (second floor). Cost is $15.
Oct. 2 - Pat Addiss "Reinventing Yourself"
Oct. 9 - Fellowship
Oct. 16 - Jeanne Pape, Docent, New-York Historical Society, "A New Light on Tiffany"
Oct. 23 - Rimas J. Jasin, executive director, Presbyterian Senior Services
Oct. 30 - Halloween (Mask optional)
Tuesdays, 1:30–4 pm, Bonnell Hall (second floor).
Our volunteers provide free tutoring sessions for non-native English speakers.
Tuesdays, 1:30–3:30 pm, Corning Logan Room (fifth floor).
The roots of the Women's Association of Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church dates back to 1810, just after the church was founded in Lower Manhattan. The women's Seminary Society met in members' homes to make garments for students attending the newly established Princeton Theological Seminary. Historians believe this was the first organization for church women west of Massachusetts.
A centennial tea on Dec. 10, 1883, commemorated the formal beginning of women's societies in the church. These groups were formed to study mission opportunities and benevolent giving to various causes. These grouops were merged in 1930 into the current Women's Association. This new organization focused on helping women struggling through the Great Depression. During World War II, the Association shifted its focus toward helping those affected by the war—rolling bandages for the wounded, knitting and sewing for refugees, writing letters to service men, and much more.
Over the ensuing decades, Women's Association activities have evolved into a diverse program of education, prayer and benevolence.