At FAPC we think less about what we believe as Christians than about what we do to be faithful disciples of Christ.
In The Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught us how to pray and instructed us how to live so that we might make a meaningful difference in the world. Using his words, we define our vision this way:
We will be Christ’s light, leaven and salt in New York City and beyond.
- LIGHT—shining a beacon of sacred hope for all who seek meaning and purpose for their lives; for all who are lost and walk in dark places; for all who are looking to embark upon or continue the journey of faith.
- LEAVEN—uplifting and transforming people’s lives through inspiring worship, thoughtful study and compassionate service.
- SALT—building community and engaging New York City, seasoning this corner of God’s world with Christ’s grace and love.
These are the values that guide our church:
- We rejoice in God’s presence in the life of our church, and we honor God as the source of all that we celebrate and the reason for all that we do.
- Christ-focused corporate worship is the central act of our community. During worship, we glorify and thank God while proclaiming the Good News of the Gospel. We value engaging and thoughtful preaching that meets congregants at their point of need, beautiful music that uplifts the soul, and prayers and personal testimonials that inspire.
- Christian faith is not solitary, but shared. We foster and build a nurturing and supportive Christian community by providing rich and varied opportunities for gathering, connecting with each other, and deepening our understanding of what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ in the world today.
- We celebrate and gather strength from our diversity as a community. Our message to the world is “This is God’s House: All are Welcome!”
- We seek to use our building and facilities in creative ways to further God’s mission and to preserve these great assets for the benefit of future generations.
- We believe that each member is an ambassador for Christ who can make a difference in other people’s lives by inviting, welcoming and serving in the name of Jesus. We seek to demonstrate God’s love through our daily actions, and we are not afraid to share with others the importance of our faith in our lives.
- We seek to make a difference in the lives of our neighbors near and far, addressing spiritual as well as physical needs in ways that are relevant and transformative. We reach out beyond the walls of the church with our time, talents and financial resources to participate in God’s plan of reconciliation for the world, demonstrating the love and justice of Jesus Christ.
- FAPC is a place to learn and to grow spiritually, no matter what age or stage of life. Together, we ask hard questions and explore our beliefs. We seek to deepen our understanding of the reformed branch of Christianity and to engage in respectful interfaith dialogue.