Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church is reaching out to our sister congregations in Texas and pursuing various avenues to aid relief efforts underway in regions affected by Hurricane Harvey.
The hurricane made landfall near Corpus Christi, Texas, late Friday and early Saturday am as a category 4 hurricane. Damage in and near Corpus Christi, Rockport and Port Lavaca, Texas, where the storm made landfall, was catastrophic. Although downgraded to a tropical storm, Harvey remains dangerous as it continues to churn inland into Texas. The storm has brought heavy, sustained rains to the Houston area, where large portions of the city are flooded, and hundreds of thousands of residents are either without power or have been forced to flee their homes. More than 20 deaths have been reported in the city of Houston alone.
Senior Pastor Scott Black Johnston has been in contact with fellow Presbyterian pastors in Houston to determine how FAPC can be of service. At a denominational level, Presbyterian Disaster Assistance is in touch with presbytery leadership in the New Covenant, Mission and South Louisiana Presbyteries. National response teams will be deployed into the affected regions when it is safe to do so.
To learn more about PDA's disaster response, and to contribute toward its relief efforts in South Texas, click here.
FAPC is accepting donations on PDA's behalf. Please make checks payable to the church, with PDA in the memo line. You may mail your checks to the church or drop them in the offering plate on Sunday morning.
Please join us as we continue to pray for the people of Texas and Louisiana who are suffering through this natural disaster. The Rev. Dr. Laurie Ann Kraus of the PDA has composed this Call to Prayer as Hurricane Harvey Passes By.
- January 21 2016 • Mission Partner Profile: New York Asian Women’s Center
- July 1 2015 • An FAPC Mission Partner Proves the Transformative Power of Art
- January 7 2016 • Art Exhibit Marks Creative New Collaboration with Project FIND
- January 19 2015 • “Our Great Privilege to be Partners with You”
- October 2 2015 • FAPC Launches Two New Monthly Ministries with Our Mission Partners
- July 11 2014 • Art as Ministry: A Success Story
- November 4 2015 • Mission Partner Update: A New Ministry with The Bowery Mission
This entry was posted in General News