Things get hot on Super Bowl Sunday, as teams of chili chefs compete for top prizes awarded by our judges and by you, the chili connoisseurs of Fifth Avenue! Can anyone dethrone our reigning champions, Mike and Eleanor Peters, and their West of the Pecos Chili? The Peters walked off with two prizes last year. Or how about our young adults, whose Netflix ‘n Chili won the judges’ first prize?
Registration is now closed. Come taste the offerings of the 12 teams that signed up to compete!
Your $10 admission includes corn bread, drinks and the right to vote for your favorite chili! Proceeds benefit the youth group’s annual service project, the Souper Bowl of Caring, which raises funds to fight hunger in local communities nationwide.
RULES OF ENTRY
- Complete and submit the sign-up form no later than Wednesday, Jan. 30.
- Each contestant or team must prepare a minimum of four (4) quarts of competition chili. Contestants are responsible for bringing their chili in their own crockpots and bringing an extension cord. Also bring a brief description of your chili for display.
- All ingredients must be cooked prior to the event. Chili is to be brought “ready-to-eat” in a covered crockpot that can be plugged in to keep the food at a proper temperature. Chili will not be served if it is not heated to its proper serving temperature of 150 degrees. If you bring your chili cold, make sure you have enough time to heat your chili thoroughly.
- Contestants must deliver their chili to Bonnell Hall by 10:45 am on Feb. 3. The church will provide cornbread and beverages, as well as small cups and spoons for guests to sample the chilis. Judges will award prizes for first, second and third place. All guests will vote on their favorite chili, with the winner to receive a People’s Choice Award. Chili-tasting and judging will begin at 12:30 pm and be completed by 1:15 pm, when the winners will be announced.
- Safe steps in food handling, cooking and storage are essential to prevent food-borne illness. In every step of food preparation, please follow the four Fight BAC!™ guidelines to keep food safe.