Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church invites you to get involved in our Women's Ministry programs of education, service, prayer, and benevolence.
The roots of our Women’s Ministry dates to 1810, just after the church was founded in Lower Manhattan. The women’s Seminary Society met in members’ homes to make garments for students attending the newly established Princeton Theological Seminary. Historians believe this was the first organization for church women west of Massachusetts.
A centennial tea on Dec. 10, 1883, commemorated the formal beginning of women’s societies in the church. These groups were formed to study mission opportunities and benevolent giving to various causes. These groups were merged in 1930 into the Women’s Association. This new organization focused on helping women struggling through the Great Depression. During World War II, the Association shifted its focus toward helping those affected by the war—rolling bandages for the wounded, knitting and sewing for refugees, writing letters to service men, and much more. The Women’s Association also ran a holiday bazaar to benefit the church’s ministries and an annual Christmas Tea for the women of the congregation.
The current Women’s Ministry is the newest way for women to get involved in Fifth Avenue. We encourage all interested women to email the Rev. Sarah A. Speed at [email protected].